Arizona College of Optometry
Midwestern University opened the doors of its Doctor of Optometry (O.D.) degree program in the Fall of 2009. The College fosters professional attitudes and behaviors that encourage lifelong learning, and scholarship to serve the needs of the public and a commitment to improve the health and well-being of society.
With a continuing need for health care services due to our aging population and underserved areas, AZCOPT is striving to help fill those gaps. Face-to-face instruction, an inter-health professional campus, early exposure to clinical settings, and Midwestern University's reputation for academic excellence make this program successful.
The mission of Midwestern University Arizona College of Optometry is to educate future optometrists and residents in an interprofessional healthcare environment. The College fosters professional attitudes and behaviors that encourage lifelong learning, and scholarship to serve the needs of the public and a commitment to improve the health and well-being of society.
Vision & Goals
The Arizona College of Optometry's vision is to:
- Deliver the premier optometric educational experience utilizing our unique multidisciplinary health professions setting and cutting edge technology
- Provide our students with the knowledge and skills to deliver the highest level of professional, ethical and compassionate eye and vision care
- Promote life-long learning, community outreach and innovative research
The 10 goals of the Arizona College of Optometry (AZCOPT) are listed below:
- Provide broad and innovative educational opportunities in the basic, visual, and clinical sciences
- Plan and develop a diversity of clinical experiences to allow students to enter the practice of optometry
- Support and nurture an environment of intellectual inquiry and activity by students, residents, and faculty
- Promote interprofessional educational programming to develop students' appreciation of other health care professions
- Ensure that students have a strong basic and vision science foundation
- Promote student involvement in community service
- Develop a high quality residency program
- Establish an Eye Institute that serves the eye/vision care needs of the community
- Provide lifelong learning activities and support services to the optometric profession and the public
- Maintain the financial viability of the College
Learn more about the optometry program at the Arizona College of Optometry.