Courses are recorded in terms of quarter hour(s) of credit. Multiplication of the credits for a course by the numeric value for the grade awarded gives the number of quality points earned for a course. Dividing the total number of quality points earned in courses by the total number of credits in those courses gives the grade point average. Grades reported as Pass (P), Withdrawal (W), or Withdrawal Failing (WF) are recorded on the student's permanent record but are not used in the calculation of the student's grade point average.

The student's session and cumulative grade point averages are computed and recorded by the Office of the Registrar. The grade point average is calculated at the end of each session and at the end of the academic year, and does not include grades or credits for audited courses, or courses with a grade of Withdrawal (W), Withdrawal Failing (WF), or Failed (F) courses that were later repeated. The grades for transfer courses required by the University or College (e.g. to remediate a failed course) are included in the grade point average (see Grade for Retaken Course, below).