University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine | 2012 | V.M.D.
University of the South | 1997 | B.A.
Dr. Kreisler joined Midwestern University College of Veterinary Medicine in August 2015 to help build a shelter medicine curriculum. In November of 2015 she launched the extracurricular mobile clinic program that provides sterilization, wellness and minor medical services to shelters and reservations in Arizona. Additional service to the community has involved shelter data analytics and shelter animal disease outbreak investigation, including distemper, Streptococcus zooepidemicus and pneumovirus.
She is faculty advisor to the Shelter Medicine and Veterinary Business Management Association clubs, as well as the veterinary contingent of the interdisciplinary HOME program. She is course organizer for the Appreciation of the Veterinary Literature and One Health 1st year courses as well as the Shelter Medicine and Practice Management 3rd year electives. Clinical interests include shelter medicine, field medicine, feline medicine and surgery.
College of Graduate Studies - AZ
College of Veterinary Medicine
College of Veterinary Medicine
Appreciation of the Veterinary Literature
One Health - Public Health, Food Safety and Epidemiology
Shelter Medicine Elective
Practice Ownership Elective
Her research has focused on topics that inform clinical decision-making, affect shelter and at-risk animal populations and improve veterinary student education. She is also interested in collaborative studies that take advantage of shelter medicine's caseload of hundreds of animals per month or involve large datasets.
1. Charity Brain, Lauren Allison, Candace Fernandez, Rachael E. Kreisler (2020). ‘Ability of an appointment complexity categorization system applied by non-medical personnel to discriminate between patient categories.’ Journal of Student-Run Clinics.
2. Kreisler, RE, Cornell, H. N., Smith, V. A., Kelsey, S. E., & Hofmeister, E. H. (2020). ‘Use of nalbuphine as a substitute for butorphanol in combination with dexmedetomidine and tiletamine/zolazepam: a randomized non-inferiority trial.’ Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 22(2), pp. 100-107. doi: 10.1177/1098612X19826715
3. Rachael E. Kreisler, Nancy L. Stackhouse, and Thomas K. Graves. (2019). ‘Arizona Veterinarians’ Perceptions of and Consensus Regarding Skills, Knowledge, and Attributes of Day One Veterinary Graduates.’ Journal of Veterinary Medical Education. doi: 10.3138/jvme.1117-166r2
4. Kreisler, RE, Cornell, HN and Levy, J.K (2019) ‘Decrease in Population and Increase in Welfare of Community Cats in a Twenty-Three Year Trap-Neuter-Return Program in Key Largo, FL: The ORCAT Program’, Frontiers in Veterinary Science, 6(February), pp. 1–14. doi: 10.3389/fvets.2019.00007
5. Claudius IA, Jontz A, Levine M, Lovecchio F, Dabrowski P, Kreisler R (2019). ‘Marijuana self-report compared with testing in trauma patients before and after legalization.’ Clinical Toxicology. doi: 10.1080/15563650.2019.1693045
6. Cornell HN, Shaver SL, Semick DN, Bradley NC, Kreisler RE (2018). ‘Effect of transmucosal corn syrup application on postoperative blood glucose concentrations in kittens’, Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 20(4), pp. 289–294. doi: 10.1177/1098612X17705537.
7. Semick DN, Shaver SL, Cornell HN, Bradley NC, Kreisler RE (2018) ‘Perioperative blood glucose concentrations in kittens following overnight fasting and gonadectomy’, Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 20(4), pp. 344–348. doi: 10.1177/1098612X17710590
8. Kreisler, RE, Shaver, SL and Holmes, JH (2018) ‘Outcomes of elective gonadectomy procedures performed on dogs and cats by veterinary students and shelter veterinarians in a shelter environment.’, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 253(10), pp. 1294–1299. doi: 10.2460/javma.253.10.1294
9. Wozniak M, Stablein C, Zuk N, Kreisler R (2018) ‘A Student-Run Free Mobile Veterinary Clinic in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area’, Journal of Student-Run Clinics, 4(1).
President, Association of Veterinary Informatics
Board Member, Association of Shelter Veterinarians
Member, American Medical Informatics Association
Member, International Society for Infectious Diseases
Member, American Animal Hospital Association
Member, Arizona Veterinary Medical Association
Member, Pennsylvania Veterinary Medical Association
Member, American Veterinary Medical Association