Doctor of Dental Medicine - AZ
AZ Continuing Dental Education
Continuing Dental Education
- BODEX Remediation Information
- Annual Alumni CE Program
- Actions and Algorithms for Medical Emergencies: How to Save a Life (Including Your Own)
- Bicon Hands-On Practical Course (Lecture and Hands-On)
- Optimal Oral Health: Measure It to Manage It, Periodontal Disease
- Laser Certification for Your Dental Practice (Hands-On)
- Taking Better Digital Radiographs: Hands-on Technique Instruction and a Review of Radiographic Findings
- Making Better Temporaries: A Hands-On Workshop for Dental Assistants
- Dental Hygienist Local Anesthesia and Nitrous Oxide Analgesia WREB Preparation Course
- Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary (EFDA) Continuing Education Program (Hands-On)
- Midwestern Faculty CDMA Learning Group Series 2022-2023
- A Review of Dental Ethics at Chairside – Live Virtual
- Refresher: Local Anesthesia and Nitrous Oxide Analgesia for Licensed Dental Hygienists and Dentists
- Mission Statement
- Conflict of Interest
- Contact Us
- Continuing Dental Education
- AZ Continuing Dental Education
|Event Title:||Actions and Algorithms for Medical Emergencies: How to Save a Life (Including Your Own)|
|Event Date(s):||Saturday, November 14, 2020|
|Event Time(s):||8:00 am - 5:00 pm (Sign-In and Breakfast 7:30 am)|
|Course Fee:||Dentists: $199, Dental Hygienists and Office Staff: $129 ( Register here)|
|Audience:||Dentists, Hygienists and Office Staff|
|Course Speaker:||Daniel Pompa, DDS, MS|
|Location:||Midwestern University Campus, Glendale, AZ|
There are more medically compromised patients coming to dental offices than ever before and a crisis situation can - and likely will - occur at some time in your practice. Many potential medical emergencies can be prevented. With this presentation, you will gain a comprehensive command of the essential knowledge and skills needed to handle a life threatening medical crisis. You will acquire "up to the minute" actions for dealing with a medical emergency while challenging preconceived or outdated ideas.
Daniel Pompa, DDS, MS, discusses the prevention, preparation, recognition and management of medical emergencies. Delivered in an interactive, high energy, multimedia presentation frequently described by attendees as "highly informative," "engaging," and "exceptional." A step-by-step medical approach using basic physical diagnostic methods is reviewed, giving the attendee a clear understanding of these medical findings. We will explore the "Conversational History" and how it will uncover medical issues not revealed by the standard health history form. Additionally, the participant will learn simple, non-invasive critical tests that can reduce overall risks. We clearly delineate indications for emergency drug use and proper dosages, as well as demonstrate how to assemble and maintain an ideal emergency drug kit. The newest techniques for drug administration will be shown for participants to hone their skills utilizing simulation models and real drugs.
Dr. Pompa may incorporate live demonstrations to enhance the learning experience depending on the venue format. Clearly delineate indications for emergency drug use and proper dosages, as well as, how to assemble and maintain an ideal emergency drug kit. The newest techniques for drug administration will be shown for participants to hone their skills utilizing simulation models and real drugs.
Attendees will receive and review color-coded instructional cards depicting the most common life-threatening situations with algorithms providing an easy to follow action plan for both dentist and team members. We will also review the legal and moral obligations that are presented during a medical crisis.
Emergencies to be covered include:
- Orthostatic Hypotension
- Adrenal Insufficiency
- Seizures and Epilepsy
- Hypoglycemia and Insulin Shock
- Asthmatic Attack
- Mild Allergic Reactions
- Stroke (CVA)
- Myocardial Infarction
- Cardiac Arrest
After attending this presentation, the participant will leave with considerable medical knowledge along with a simple approach that can provide lifesaving skills.
Participants will bridge the gap between the didactic knowledge presented and the ability to manage an actual crisis. We will accomplish this by describing real emergency scenarios, and then review the recognition and management protocols for each emergency. This will be done in an open group format as case presentation discussions.
- Discover three simple chair-side, non-invasive tests to help avoid an emergency
- Recognize the most frequent life threatening emergencies and know when and why they occur
- Review a systematic approach to treat the most common life-threatening scenarios
- Learn how to develop a plan for the office team when dealing with a crisis event
- Determine when to administer the essential "Top 10" emergency drugs
- Understand legal and moral obligations presented by medical emergencies
- Implement three simple chair-side, non-invasive tests, to help avoid an emergency
Martha C. Clements, MEd, Continuing Education Specialist
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Office Phone: 623-572-3870
Dr. Pompa's Biography:
Dr. Daniel Pompa, is an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon. He is a Fellow in both The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and the International Congress of Oral Implantologists.
He has been a guest speaker at Columbia University College of Dental Medicine and New York University College of Dentistry. Dan is now a guest speaker at the University of Florida College of Dentistry, New York University College of Dentistry, Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine, University of Maryland School of Dentistry, University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, University of Tennessee College of Dental Medicine and has recently presented here at the Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona.
Dr. Pompa is an author with eight courses on-line (Dentaltown - 4 courses, Dr. Bicuspid, Colgate Website, Pennsylvania Dental Association, and The Redwood Empire Dental Association, California). He has been published in journals such as: The Journal of the American Dental Association, Dentistry Today and the New York State Journal of the Academy of General Dentistry. Dan has been featured as a Seminar Series Speaker/Consultant for the American Dental Association. Dr. Pompa is now a Colgate Speaker and has a course "Medical Emergencies in the Dental Practice" on the Colgate Website. Dentistry Today has cited Dr. Pompa as a "Leader in Continuing Dental Education" for 2018 and 2019". He has now presented over 600 lectures both Nationally and Internationally. The Medical Emergency full-day course in now being presented throughout the U.S. as well as in Canada, South America and Europe.
Dan practiced Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery for over 30 years in New York and now lectures full-time. He has organized several Charity Golf Tournaments to raise money for our Veterans at the Northport VA Hospital and is also the host of the "New York Classic Film Club" which is in its sixth year and meets at the Port Washington Public Library on Long Island, New York.
He is an inventor, having been issued a U.S. Patent for his contribution in developing a protocol for CT Guided Surgery in Dental Implantology. His patent (U.S. Patent #5,320,529) is cited today by over 250 patents.
COURSE FEE: $199 Dentists Dental Hygienists and Office Other Staff: $129
There are three ways to register for our continuing education programs:
Online click here: submit completed online registration form and payment process per directions
- By mail: if you want to pay by check, make it out to Midwestern University, fill out the online form , print it out and send it along with your payment to:
- Dr. James Pashayan, College of Dental Medicine-AZ Midwestern University, Office of Continuing Dental Education, 19555 N 59 th Avenue, Glendale, AZ 85308
- By email: scan completed registration form and email to email@example.com, providing payment information. Please call 623-572-3870 if you have any questions about course content, directions, registration, etc. ( click to download printable registration form)
Payment Methods: We accept checks, American Express, Diners Club, Discover, JCB, MasterCard and Visa. All checks should be made payable to: Midwestern University.
Cancellations and Refunds: The Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona Continuing Dental Education (MWUCDM-AZ CDE) office reserves the right to end registration when the enrollment limit is reached and to cancel, modify or alter content, faculty or location for any course if circumstances indicate such a change is advisable. If the MWUCDM-AZ CDE finds it necessary to cancel a course, a full refund will be issued. No travel expenses will be refunded to the registrant in the event of course cancellation or cancellation of any registration. Full tuition refunds are issued if the participant cancels in writing two weeks prior to a course. Cancellations processed during the two weeks prior to course date will be refunded tuition minus a late cancellation fee of $75. No refunds will be issued for cancellations received seven days prior to the day of the course or in the event of a no-show. Select courses may have individually specific cancellation fees and polices. A $50 fee will be assessed for all returned payments. Returned payments include returned checks and dishonored credit or debit card payments.
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine Arizona is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider.
ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona designates this activity for 6.5 continuing education credit.