June 02, 2017
Midwestern University recently held commencement ceremonies on its campuses in Downers Grove, Illinois and Glendale, Arizona to celebrate healthcare professions graduates who are preparing to begin their professional lives.
During the ceremonies, Kathleen H. Goeppinger, Ph.D., President and Chief Executive Officer of Midwestern University, acknowledged the many achievements of the graduates during their years of rigorous study and clinical experiences. "If you can be anything, be kind. It's so simple, but so very true," Dr. Goeppinger told the graduates. "All of you are going into very important and stressful careers. Healthcare is never easy. However, if you remember to be kind, it will go a long way to healing people."
Graduating Programs, Spring 2017
- Osteopathic Medicine: The Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine and the Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine honored 423 graduates who earned Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) degrees. Over half of the graduates from both colleges will enter primary care residencies; Class of 2017 graduates will also pursue various specialties including emergency medicine, orthopedic surgery, neurological surgery, ophthalmology, radiology, psychiatry, and anesthesiology in local and national residency programs.
- Pharmacy: Between the Chicago College of Pharmacy and the College of Pharmacy-Glendale, nearly 350 new Doctors of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) are preparing to enter the workforce.
- Health Sciences: The College of Health Sciences graduated over 350 students from Physical Therapy and Biomedical Sciences programs on both campuses, as well as Cardiovascular Perfusion and Podiatry in Arizona, and Speech-Language Pathology in Illinois.
- Dental Medicine: The College of Dental Medicine-Illinois and the College of Dental Medicine-Arizona combined to graduate over 260 students earning Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) degrees.
- Optometry: The Arizona College of Optometry celebrated 42 Doctor of Optometry (O.D.) graduates from its Class of 2017.
The commencement ceremonies were held in the Glendale Campus Auditorium and in the auditorium at Cardinal Hall in Downers Grove. Each commencement featured remarks from members of the graduating class and a special recognition of those students beginning their healthcare careers in the military.